working with self made dlls in assembly

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wantto wantto 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

wantto wantto
    Participant

i created dll called myTools.dll, put it in the GAC (assembly), and i see it there.
    i want to load this dll and access it's static methods.
    i tried to do
    Add-Type -AssemblyName myTools;
    and get error that

Add-Type : Cannot add type. The assembly 'myTools' could not be found.

any idea?what do i miss?

Dave Wyatt

How did you add your assembly to the GAC? If Add-Type is failing, odds are that wasn't done properly. See this link.

wantto wantto
    Participant

drag and drop to the assembly
    i accees it with no problem from web pages.

wantto wantto
    Participant

when i do

[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile("C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\meTools\3.5.0.0__88692d87fab243d7\myTools.dll").GetTypes()

this works.
    can i some how access like this the static methods?

Dave Wyatt

I'm pretty sure you're not adding the assembly to the GAC properly if you just dragged and dropped a DLL into that location, but I'm not certain. Anyhow, if that call to Assembly.LoadFile works, then you should be able to load it this way with the Path parameter instead of AssemblyName:

Add-Type -Path 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\meTools\3.5.0.0__88692d87fab243d7\myTools.dll'

wantto wantto
    Participant

this way worked
    Get-ChildItem -recurse "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\myTools\3.5.0.0__88692d87fab243d7\"|Where-Object {($_.Extension -EQ ".dll") -or ($_.Extension -eq ".exe")} | ForEach-Object { $AssemblyName=$_.FullName; Try {[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile($AssemblyName)} Catch{ "***ERROR*** Not .NET assembly: " + $AssemblyName}}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.