Wrap ps1 to Exe to run on 32-bit PowerShell host only

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

by DexterPOSH at 2013-04-15 16:03:05

Hello Power Users,

I have a script which does some SCCM Client maintenance work. Now right now am calling this Script from a batch file using 32-bit PowerShell host.
    But I thought why not compile it as an executable using PowerGUI (am on PowerShell v2 ).

But wait there's one gotcha in this , few tasks in SCCM Client have a dependency on 32-bit PowerShell host that means when I try to instantiate the following COM object needed in the script from 64-bit host it throws an error.

PS C:\> $cpappletmgr = New-Object -ComObject CPAPPLET.CPAppletMgr
    New-Object : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {096C5BA8-044B-4BAC-9914-144723BA4F2A} failed du
    e to the following error: 80040154.
    At line:1 char:26
    + $cpappletmgr = New-Object < <<< -ComObject CPAPPLET.CPAppletMgr
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [New-Object], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoCOMClassIdentified,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

Now my question is Can I compile the script to an executable, that uses 32-bit PowerShell host on 64-bit machine.
    It would be much appreciated if anyone can tell me how does the executable ends up running eventually after I compile it.

I have tried compiling it using the PowerGUI x86 Script Editor on 64-bit machine, but no luck. It uses the default 64-bit host.

by DonJ at 2013-04-15 16:07:15

Yeah. SCCM. WTF.

You can't compile PowerShell scripts. It isn't a compiled language. You can "package" it, which is what PowerGUI does. PrimalScript also does, and I believe PrimalScript offers the ability to select a host.

by DexterPOSH at 2013-04-22 18:18:12

Thanks Sir Don,

Sorry was a bit late in replying and I used the word "compile" as that was the option present in PowerGUI 🙂
    So in reality all these tools package the PS1....But I observed this packaged exe bypasses the execution policy in PowerShell (probably by using bypass as the exec'n policy while calling the PS1)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.