write to file

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of l0ad3dr3v0lv3r
    l0ad3dr3v0lv3r
    Participant

So, I have a script that does a write-host to the console (see script below). I've tried everything to get this thing to write to file....

I've tried just calling the script and passing the to the out-file parameter like this:
    C:\> .myscript.ps1 | out-file results.txt

I've tried:
    C:\> .myscript.ps1 > results.txt

I've tried re-writing the script to use write-output instead of write-host and it works for the first two write-host statements (hostname and template) but not the 'device name' statement which is in the for loop.

Hoping someone can help me get this info into a file. It needs to be something that is nor version specific as we're stuck using a very old version of powershell.

Sorry, it's not my language of expertise so the code below might look a bit shabby,,,,It works though, but only to the console.

#Conecting and gathering information
    $objDomain = new-object system.directoryServices.directoryEntry
    $strTopDomain = $objDomain.distinguishedName
    $strTopLDAP = "LDAP://OU=Topology,OU=APC,OU=Applications,$strTopDomain"
    $objTopOU = new-object system.directoryServices.directoryEntry("$strTopLDAP")
    $strTopOU = $objTopOU.distinguishedName
    $topFilter = "(&(sita-Vps-computerLink=*)(sita-Vps-iwsTemplateLink=*))"
    $topObjSearcher = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher($topFilter)
    $topObjSearcher.searchRoot = $objTopOU
    $topObjSearcher.searchScope = "subtree"
    $topObjSearcher.sizelimit = 1000
    $properties=@('name','sita-Vps-iwsTemplateLink')
    $topObjSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.AddRange($properties)
    $hash = @{}
    $objTopList = $topObjSearcher.findAll() |
    foreach-object{
    $hash.Add($_.Properties.Item("name")[0], $_.Properties.Item("sita-Vps-iwsTemplateLink")[0].toString().split(',=')[1])}

$objIwsDomain = new-object system.directoryServices.directoryEntry
    $strIwsDomain = $objIwsDomain.distinguishedName
    $iwsFilter = "(sita-Vps-deviceTemplate=*)"
    $strIwsLDAP = "LDAP://OU=IwsTemplates,OU=APC,OU=Applications,$strIwsDomain"
    $objIwsOU = new-object system.directoryServices.directoryEntry("$strIwsLDAP")
    $strIwsOU = $objIwsOU.distinguishedName
    $iwsObjSearcher = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher($iwsFilter)
    $iwsObjSearcher.searchRoot = $objIwsOU
    $iwsObjSearcher.searchScope = "subtree"
    $iwsObjSearcher.sizelimit = 1000
    $iwsProperties=@('distinguishedName','sita-vps-deviceTemplate')
    $iwsObjSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.AddRange($iwsProperties)

#Looping through gathered information and displaying
    foreach($i in $hash.keys){
    write-host "Hostname: $i" | Out-File -filepath "c:\" -append -encoding utf8;
    Write-host "Template:" "$($hash.$i)" | Out-File -filepath "c:\" -append -encoding utf8;
    $objIwsList = $iwsObjSearcher.findAll() |
    foreach-object{
    $tmp_name = ($_.Properties.Item("distinguishedName")[0].split(',=')[3]);
    $tmp_device = ($_.Properties.Item("sita-Vps-deviceTemplate")[0].toString().split(',=')[1])|
    where-object{$tmp_name -eq $hash.$i
    if($tmp_device -ne $null){write-host "Device:" $tmp_device | Out-File -filepath "c:\" -append -encoding utf8}
    }
    }
    }

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Write-Host draws pixels directly to the screen. It can't be redirected, and it can't be piped like you're trying to do.

Check out "The Big Book of PowerShell Gotchas" here (Resources > eBooks). If your goal is to do something other that draw pixels on the screen, you probably need to look into Write-Output.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.