WSMANFault (out of memory due to GCI?)

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A WSMANFault (out of memory due to GCI?)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by

Participant
2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I'm working on a reporting script right now to determine employee utilization of an enterprise application, Box Sync (like a commercial implementation of Dropbox). It's crucial that I get this to run with Invoke-Command for parallelization because we have so many endpoints to test against. I don't have logic in here yet to deal with systems not powered on, but in preliminary testing it's working great against my local machine but failing with a wsmanfault when I try to run it against another local machine on the domain.

[CmdletBinding()]
    Param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,Position=1)]
        [string[]]$ComputerName='localhost'
    )

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $ComputerName -AsJob -JobName BoxCheck -ScriptBlock {

$exepresent = Test-Path "$env:ProgramFiles\Box\Box Sync\BoxSync.exe"
        $exerunning = [bool] (Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.ProcessName -eq "BoxSync"})

$explorerprocesses = @(Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name='explorer.exe'" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
        $usernames = @()
        if ($explorerprocesses.Count -eq 0){
            $logonstatus = "Nobody logged on" #currently not using this variable

} else {
            $logonstatus = "User(s) logged on" #currently not using this variable
            foreach ($i in $explorerprocesses){
                $username = $i.GetOwner().User
                $usernames += $username             
                }            
            }

foreach ($user in $usernames) {

$boxsyncdirectoryexists = Test-Path "$env:SystemDrive\Users\$user\Box Sync"
            $boxsyncdirectorystats = If ($boxsyncdirectoryexists) {
                Get-ChildItem -Path "$env:SystemDrive\Users\$user\Box Sync" -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
                }

$boxsyncdirectorysize = [math]::Round( ( ( $boxsyncdirectorystats | Measure-Object -Property Length -Sum).Sum / 1MB ),2 )

$properties = @{ComputerName = $env:COMPUTERNAME
                BoxSyncInstalled = $exepresent
                BoxSyncRunning = $exerunning
                User = $user
                BoxDatainMB = $boxsyncdirectorysize
                SyncDirExist = $boxsyncdirectoryexists}

$obj = New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $properties
            Write-Output $obj
            }
        }

Get-Job 'BoxCheck' #| Wait-Job

The error:

Processing data for a remote command failed with the following error message:  For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: ($computername:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : JobFailure
        + PSComputerName        : $computername

I've already run

set-item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 2048

to increase the memory. It was already set at 1024 previously. If I had to guess, it is failing during the Get-ChildItem command. It shouldn't be a very big file list anyway, even though it's recursive. People don't typically dump a lot of files into their synced folder to begin with.
    Let's say it is the GCI command though. I want to be able to handle a large file list. How do I ensure that I always have enough memory to run this? Set an absurdly high memory limit? I don't need to return the results of the GCI command over the remoting session, it's only included so that I can calculate the size of the combined files and folders in that directory. I could really use some tips. Thanks!

Participant

I should add that I have gotten this to successfully run against other remote computers.

Participant

I think I managed to fix it by simply reducing the number of properties I'm working with on the Get-ChildItem command, like so:

Get-ChildItem -Path "$env:SystemDrive\Users\$user\Box Sync" -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Where-Object {!$_.PSIsContainer} | Select Name,Fullname,Length

I'm not sure I understand why it works, though, because it's not filtering for the properties, it's retrieving them all and then discarding most of them. So I would expect it to crash just the same. I would really appreciate if anyone could explain to me why this works the way it does.

Thanks!

The topic ‘WSMANFault (out of memory due to GCI?)’ is closed to new replies.