WSMANFault (out of memory due to GCI?)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Neil Kronberg Neil Kronberg 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Neil Kronberg
    Neil Kronberg
    Participant

I'm working on a reporting script right now to determine employee utilization of an enterprise application, Box Sync (like a commercial implementation of Dropbox). It's crucial that I get this to run with Invoke-Command for parallelization because we have so many endpoints to test against. I don't have logic in here yet to deal with systems not powered on, but in preliminary testing it's working great against my local machine but failing with a wsmanfault when I try to run it against another local machine on the domain.

[CmdletBinding()]
    Param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,Position=1)]
        [string[]]$ComputerName='localhost'
    )

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $ComputerName -AsJob -JobName BoxCheck -ScriptBlock {

$exepresent = Test-Path "$env:ProgramFiles\Box\Box Sync\BoxSync.exe"
        $exerunning = [bool] (Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.ProcessName -eq "BoxSync"})

$explorerprocesses = @(Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name='explorer.exe'" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
        $usernames = @()
        if ($explorerprocesses.Count -eq 0){
            $logonstatus = "Nobody logged on" #currently not using this variable

} else {
            $logonstatus = "User(s) logged on" #currently not using this variable
            foreach ($i in $explorerprocesses){
                $username = $i.GetOwner().User
                $usernames += $username             
                }            
            }

foreach ($user in $usernames) {

$boxsyncdirectoryexists = Test-Path "$env:SystemDrive\Users\$user\Box Sync"
            $boxsyncdirectorystats = If ($boxsyncdirectoryexists) {
                Get-ChildItem -Path "$env:SystemDrive\Users\$user\Box Sync" -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
                }

$boxsyncdirectorysize = [math]::Round( ( ( $boxsyncdirectorystats | Measure-Object -Property Length -Sum).Sum / 1MB ),2 )

$properties = @{ComputerName = $env:COMPUTERNAME
                BoxSyncInstalled = $exepresent
                BoxSyncRunning = $exerunning
                User = $user
                BoxDatainMB = $boxsyncdirectorysize
                SyncDirExist = $boxsyncdirectoryexists}

$obj = New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $properties
            Write-Output $obj
            }
        }

Get-Job 'BoxCheck' #| Wait-Job

The error:

Processing data for a remote command failed with the following error message:  For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: ($computername:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : JobFailure
        + PSComputerName        : $computername

I've already run

set-item WSMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB 2048

to increase the memory. It was already set at 1024 previously. If I had to guess, it is failing during the Get-ChildItem command. It shouldn't be a very big file list anyway, even though it's recursive. People don't typically dump a lot of files into their synced folder to begin with.
    Let's say it is the GCI command though. I want to be able to handle a large file list. How do I ensure that I always have enough memory to run this? Set an absurdly high memory limit? I don't need to return the results of the GCI command over the remoting session, it's only included so that I can calculate the size of the combined files and folders in that directory. I could really use some tips. Thanks!

Neil Kronberg
    Participant

I should add that I have gotten this to successfully run against other remote computers.

Neil Kronberg
    Participant

I think I managed to fix it by simply reducing the number of properties I'm working with on the Get-ChildItem command, like so:

Get-ChildItem -Path "$env:SystemDrive\Users\$user\Box Sync" -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Where-Object {!$_.PSIsContainer} | Select Name,Fullname,Length

I'm not sure I understand why it works, though, because it's not filtering for the properties, it's retrieving them all and then discarding most of them. So I would expect it to crash just the same. I would really appreciate if anyone could explain to me why this works the way it does.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.