[xml] question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ertuu85 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

ertuu85
    Participant

I've created an xml file that contains file paths, some of them being environmental variables.

I'm trying to use the XML to grab and use them but when i take them from the xml it becomes a string, not a cmdlet...is there a way to use them as a command and not a string?

[xml]$spec = get-content .\FILE.xml

$dv = ($spec.techspec.section | ? {$_.systemvalueparameter -eq '$env:SystemRoot'}).systemvalueparameter

so now $dv will equal "$env:systemroot", but if i test-path $dv it fails..

Dave Wyatt

So $spec.techspec.section contains the name of a cmdlet? If so, you'd just use PowerShell's Call operator (&), which allows you to execute strings or ScriptBlock objects. For example:

$command = 'Get-Command'

& $command -Name Get-Help -Syntax

ertuu85
    Participant

No, I'm sorry...I'm explaining this horribly...

$dv = ($spec.techspec.section | ? {$_.systemvalueparameter -eq '$env:SystemRoot'}).systemvalueparameter

This would assign $dv the value of $env:systemroot (which is the value coded into the xml doc on the systemvalueparameter element).

So if I did like a

test-path $dv

It would retrun "False" because it's really doing a test-path '$env:systemroot' instead of a test-path $env:systeroot or test-path "$env:systermroot"

I would like it to return the value of $env:systemroot, not the literal string '$env:systemroot'

Curtis Smith
    Participant

It would help if you have an example of your XML document

Dave Wyatt

Oh, I see. There's a method available in the PowerShell engine to expand variables in strings like that:

$myString = '$env:systemRoot'

$ExecutionContext.InvokeCommand.ExpandString($myString)

ertuu85
    Participant

Dave! That works like a dream, thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.